227 Alliance
202 Brown Coats
ArcherOfTheAsylum

Archer's Asylum

I'm a big bloke (7ft tall) and I am forever reading. This will mostly be my thoughts as I am reading and possibly a review or two. You may know me as Archer.

I am basically a lurker. My life revolves around my wife, my cats, Books, and entertainment.

I'm working on building and setting up a forge and I'm generally one of those people who can be found causing or in the middle of mischief somewhere...

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee Well I'm done... It's finished... Review and rating to come shortly.3.5 starsWell hello once again my dear readers. Over the past couple days I have been reading a book that has been recommended to me by just about everyone on Goodreads. It is of course the now infamously popular Angelfall. Now when I went into this book it was with more than a little trepidation. I was being told it is a young adult paranormal romance, and I will concede, I can see why people would see the focus as being on Penryn’s crush on Raffe, the newly wingless angelic “adonis” of the book. But it isn’t a PNR. Not really. Yes, it has a romantic angle in that there are definite romantic emotions there from both parties, but the focus is on saving Penryn’s sister, Paige. I wasn’t sold on yet another YA angel fiction either. The others have been so hit and miss and so widely annoying that it is all anyone can do recently to try and find something good to say about those books, or at least it is with my friends. But this endeavour into the world of the angelic being is a slightly darker tone. This book doesn’t paint a picture of a world where angels are coming down and all but hiding in modern society: this story kicks up 6 weeks after the angels have all but destroyed mankind. Earth is in ruins. Susan Ee’s world reminded me, oddly, of the film Legion having a baby with Mad Max. The angels were bad ass and the humans were tribal gangs. Now early on in this world we see that all is not right in the lives of Penryn and family even before the world ended. And then as they are trying to escape Silicone Valley something happened which causes, for me, the crux of the plot to be formed. Paige is taken. Angels take her from her wheelchair and fly off with her… And I know I am meant to care about this and think that it is a shame and everything… But I don’t. I don’t care about Paige, I don’t care about Penryn, her mother or any of the other humans along the way if I’m completely honest. I barely care for anyone that Susan Ee wrote if I am being totally frank. What I do care about however is the world that Ee has created. Her use of descriptive text had me totally absorbed in the world even though to me the characters are all very flat and two-dimensional. Obviously a hell of a lot of thought and planning has gone into creating this world and it shows. Because for once we are not transported to a big city for the apocalypse, we are taken to a relatively small town that I have only ever come across being used as a backdrop in a novel once before. The writing style is completely and totally immersive, and I am not normally a fan of first person present. I find that it normally lacks something that makes my emotions flow, and whilst this seems to have remained true in this I’m honestly not sure whether the action of this book would have been as hard hitting for a YA audience if it were written in first person past. As I was reading, as my statuses showed, I found that as I was going on I could quite easily work out what was going to happen in the book before it happened. In fact the only thing that I didn’t twig onto was the fact that Raffe’s wings were going to be transplanted onto a demon’s… but then again seriously, who the hell would pick up on that? And even though I had an inkling right from the start that the angels were either A – taking children to groom them and breed from them or B – experimenting on them to make them into some kind of monster/weapon, when the reality of what they were doing was revealed it was still quite shocking. To be perfectly honest I didn’t like the fact that her mum was a paranoid schizophrenic, and that’s not because I have anything against people with her condition, but to me it was almost comic relief when they’d stumble over some of her rotten eggs or she’d show up and treat everything as matter of fact. It just didn’t sit right with me the way that she was written. And don’t get me wrong, this is a good book when compared to a lot of YA lit but it just didn’t do it for me. It was missing something. I’m still going to read the rest of the series don’t get me wrong, and I would definitely recommend it to other people because I suppose the romance, which starts out as a crush and becomes loyalty that grows slowly is sort of right for the book, and because the ideas and research in the book about angels, demons and developing the mythology of creatures from the Bible is intriguing (I do applaud you Susan for your knowledge of angels and demons and their kin), I wouldn’t rave about it.But despite the fact that I didn’t connect to the characters, and that parts of it were about as obvious as a purple panda humping a sofa with the lights on, I enjoyed this book. Its only 86p on kindle at the moment too so it’s not expensive either. It’s an easy read and as post apocalyptic dark fantasies go it’s fairly original. **Edit**Was it the lab scene's that I was meant to be freaked out by?