225 Alliance
200 Brown Coats
ArcherOfTheAsylum

Archer's Asylum

I'm a big bloke (7ft tall) and I am forever reading. This will mostly be my thoughts as I am reading and possibly a review or two. You may know me as Archer.

I am basically a lurker. My life revolves around my wife, my cats, Books, and entertainment.

I'm working on building and setting up a forge and I'm generally one of those people who can be found causing or in the middle of mischief somewhere...

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs Actual Rating - A little over 2.5 stars I liked it but it had some major flaws in it that dragged the rating right back. I feel decidedly unsatisfied after reading Miss Peregrine's. When I went into the book I was expecting something vastly different to what I got. I had been mislead by the following:"A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children", an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here - one of whom was his own grandfather - were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.The above is the blurb of the book taken from Amazon Kindle. Now in my opinion, the book that that specific blurb is selling is awesome. But Miss Peregrine's isn't that book. My problems with the book, might appear mundane, made me feel detached from the reading experience. The first of them being "A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage." Cairnholm isn't mysterious... it's Welsh, there is a difference. The orphanage wasn't abandoned It was bombed. There are some pretty fundamental differences between what the blurb said and what was written. And as for the writing, well how can I put this politely... It needed going over with a fine toothed comb to wheedle out all of the fuck ups. Let me paint you a picture with words. There is a country, bordering England, called Wales. This is a beautiful country of rolling hill, heather covered peaks, slate mountains and, in the countryside especially, farmers. These are for the most part good people. People who use phrases like "taking the piss" to mean a jest, a jape, a general jokey happenstance. They use the term "taking a piss" when the males go to a urinal. There is a huge difference in context. So when I'm reading and a character says "I was taking a piss" I thought "ew, the dirty fucker why not use the lavvi" only to be told they meant a joke... Research fail on the authors part. If he had asked a welshman about this he would not have fucked up. The story started out strong. It was reading very much like the ghost story I was expecting until it was revealed to me, the reader, that Miss Peregrine's is a special place, for special children, led by a special adult, whilst being hidden away from the rest of the world. At this point I headdesked... Hard. The story had gone from a well thought out, atmospheric, tense ghost story... to a generic "we're speshul so we'll hide" story, a'la Harry Potter, X-Men, The Worst Witch, Animorphs, Vampire Academy... the list goes on. One aspect that did redeem it for me was the time travel through loops, that was actually a nice touch there I didn't see any indication, either in the tone or the writing itself, to suggest that maybe the children had been quarantined on the island either. OK maybe they could've been seen as dangerous but they aren't really any more dangerous than a regular person. As the story progressed though, it managed to rebuild the sinister tone that the author had so effectively destroyed with one swift revelation. The children were at risk and they weren't going to take it lying down. But as the story got better, the writing got worse. There were missed words, clumsy structure, inconsistent pacing (due to factors I will go onto in a moment) and some truly, glaringly obvious, revelations that were obviously intended to shock the reader. The pictures were the reason that the pacing was inconsistent. The story would start flowing, it would build up momentum, and then I was treated to a lengthy description of the pictures, and then I was shown them... after having them painstakingly described... Now I'm sorry but in the quiet words of the Virgin Mary "come again?"... If I'm having the pictures described to me, in detail, in the prose then why do they need to punctuate it with their presence? How can a reader be expected to carry on with the same flow when the mood has been killed more effectively than a steel toed boot to the nards? They were unneeded and added nothing to the story. They should be axed. Completely. However, I did enjoy the story when I got my teeth into the meat of it. It was almost original. It had a strong start and an almost strong cliffhanger for the next book (which I probably will read despite all the problems with this book). I just feel that if Ransom Riggs (I suspect a pseudonym because no parents are that cool) had actually done a little research rather than build the story around these found photo's then it could have been something truly wonderful, where as right now it falls into a decidedly "meh" category. I'd read it again to refresh the story but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to any serious readers.I was lied to by a blurb... again... I expected far better. EditI have recently discovered that Ransom Riggs has never even been to Wales... I honestly have to say it shows. The lack of research about the people of Wales is one of my biggest issues with this book. They are written very, very American.