228 Alliance
202 Brown Coats
ArcherOfTheAsylum

Archer's Asylum

I'm a big bloke (7ft tall) and I am forever reading. This will mostly be my thoughts as I am reading and possibly a review or two. You may know me as Archer.

I am basically a lurker. My life revolves around my wife, my cats, Books, and entertainment.

I'm working on building and setting up a forge and I'm generally one of those people who can be found causing or in the middle of mischief somewhere...

Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)

Wizard's First Rule  - Terry Goodkind Well hello there once again!I know that it has been a while since I have written a full on, in depth review of a book but I’m gonna be honest… I’ve had shit going on. I’ve emptied a house, flown to the literal other hemisphere of the globe, got myself settled and situated and finally finished reading Wizards First Rule just a little over two months after starting it. And you know what?...I really, hand on my heart, may a drop bear eat me if I am untrue, honest to the holy hand grenade of antioch, really fucking liked it. And I know it’s the in thing at the moment to bash a fantasy author for writing a loooooooooooooooong fucking book but High Fantasy is my first love and this is a long book. But it isn’t boring. I found this book to be a deep and engaging read that was really enjoyable. Now, OK, yes there are the obvious parallels between this and Tolkien’s seminal work, The Lord of the Rings, in that the sword of truth will have an adverse effect on the physical and mental state of the seeker after prolonged possession and they will turn into a creature very much like Gollum/Smeagol and the few that are present do get on my nerves because once you know about them you can’t help but roll your eyes and just say “Oh fucking dear”. The story is the, now rather generic, nothing guy is friends with a wizard and embarks on an epic quest to save the world as they know it… Sound familiar? But don’t let that fool you. I found myself actually caring for Frodo Richard in this incarnation of that layout. In fact this is probably the most enthralling rework of that idea that I have read. I read LoTR… and yeah it was good… But I doubt I’m going to read it again in the next 3 decadesI am also in awe that waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1994, that’s 18 years ago now… fuck I feel old… there was not only one but two immensely powerful groups of people who were exclusively female now that is practically unheard of in high fantasy. One is good but two… fuck… excuse me whilst I gasp at the progressive nature of your work! And really and truly I can live with the Gary Stu-ism of Richard because he’s a decent guy. He’s also, in my opinion, more believable than most heroes in fantasy. He’s a nice guy who struggles with a temper… Like most guys out there if you ask me. Essentially what I am saying is that this book is far from perfect. I can see what everyone saying it’s trash see’s but in all honesty… I don’t care. I can see similarities with other series… But I couldn’t give a flying fuck because there is in all fantasy nowadays . I can see what the author arrogantly says about it dealing with “deeper human themes” though. It doesn’t just have good versus evil it has shades of grey which make the tale all the more human… if you know what I mean. I wouldn’t recommend this for everyone and it most definitely isn’t for kids there’s rape, violence, torture, entrails, cannibalism but I would definitely recommend it for fantasy fans, not the douchebags who say fantasy as whole peaked at Tolkien, news flash it didn’t, but rather to the masses of fantasy fans who are looking for a book to bury their head in that ISN’T being ram-rodded down their throats with HBO and Sean Bean (Although without mentioning titles I quite enjoyed that show and I’m going to re-read the books).But I do have to say, to those newbie fantasy fans… Try something a little shorter before this. This is a series that requires dedication, not a fad and on that note…This comic speaks truth… I am the winner in that panel lolArcher out.