225 Alliance
200 Brown Coats
ArcherOfTheAsylum

Archer's Asylum

I'm a big bloke (7ft tall) and I am forever reading. This will mostly be my thoughts as I am reading and possibly a review or two. You may know me as Archer.

I am basically a lurker. My life revolves around my wife, my cats, Books, and entertainment.

I'm working on building and setting up a forge and I'm generally one of those people who can be found causing or in the middle of mischief somewhere...

[REBLOG] Will Amazon Turn Twitch Into Another GoodReads Failure?

Amazon has just bought Twitch, a video-game livestreaming site, for close to $1billion. It's reportedly the world's largest gaming community.

This article states:

Remember GoodReads? The social reading website, with an emphasis on books, catalogues, and reviews, startup up in 2006 as a site for members to discuss the books that they loved. Amazon purchased GoodReads in March 2013; not long afterward, it was enmeshed in accusations of censorship and stifling creativity after it reportedly deleted hundreds of user reviews and ratings without warning, sparking a backlash by a small but active group of members.

and

Buying a social network doesn't just mean you've purchased another outlet for marketing your products—and that's exactly how many Goodreads members felt post-acquisition. It means you have a community to tend to. Manage that badly, and you get disillusionment. Disillusionment leads to frustration, frustration leads to anger, and anger leads to the Dark Side. Or at least to out-migration, often of the most innovative or talented members.

-=Archers Addition=-

If Twitch does end up going the same way as Goodreads did post Amazon acquisition, I shall return my streaming of PS4 gameplay to UStream, cause like fuck do I need more amazon bulshit

Source: http://readwrite.com/2014/08/26/amazon-twitch-gaming-esports-acquisition-goodreads
Reblogged from Literary Ames